There are several things a person experiencing a trauma-related disorder can do to help themselves. Mr. Willis, can you tell us about some of these self-help tips?
Absolutely, Dr. Patel. A few simple steps that may help someone suffering a trauma-related disorder include:
- Engage in mild physical activity or exercise to help reduce stress.
- Set realistic goals.
- Break up large tasks into small ones and set priorities.
- Try to spend time with other people.
- Confide in a trusted friend or relative.
- Tell others about things that may trigger symptoms.
- Expect symptoms to improve gradually, not immediately. (and)
- Identify and seek out comforting situations, places, and people.