There are a number of strategies you can implement on your own to prevent symptoms of mild depression from becoming worse or interfering with daily functioning. Dr. Phillips, can you give us some of these self-help tips?
Absolutely, Dr. Patel. Some tips that may help you or a loved one experiencing depression include:
- Be active and exercise.
- Set specific, realistic goals for yourself.
- Spend time with other people and confide in a trusted friend or relative.
- Be mindful of the natural tendency to isolate, and whenever possible, do the opposite.
- Expect your mood to improve gradually, not immediately. (and)
- Postpone important life decisions until you feel better. Discuss decisions with others who know you well and have a more objective view of your situation.