In addition to seeking help from a mental health professional, there are several self-help and coping strategies that an individual with a personality disorder may find useful, including:
- Learn about the condition. Understanding the disorder can help the individual recognize symptoms and motivate them to remain engaged with their treatment plan.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity can help manage many symptoms, such as stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol. Alcohol and drugs can make symptoms worse or interact with prescribed medications.
- Join a support group of others with similar personality tendencies. Sharing with others who are dealing with similar issues can make the individual feel less alone.
- Write in a journal to express emotions. Writing down thoughts and feelings is often therapeutic.
- Use relaxation and stress management techniques.
- Stay connected with family and friends. Avoid becoming isolated.